Boardand General Member Meeting Minutes - Monday, May 2nd 2011
Board Members Present:Igor Belakovskiy (President), Mike Farry (Vice President), Fred Good (Treasurer), Sean Wolf - remotely (Captain),
Marianna McCormick (Secretary), Evan Bailey (Trustee),Amelia Booth, (Trustee), Igor Lasic (Trustee)
Not Present:All Present
Members/others Present: Dick Garver, Joel Skaliotis, Katy Rudermann, Paige Divoll, Libby Diamond, Sarah White, Colleen Saville, Ed Frankenberry,
Kyle Lafferty, Cindy Larson, Mary O'Neill, Peter Morelli, Valerie Brinker, Kate Sullivan, Liza Kunze, Jeff Schaffer, Ed Ballo, Tom Keister, Andrew
Sculling Coach Update – Igor Belakovskiy:
RBC has hired Gordon Hamilton as the new sculling coach. He will start on May 12th.His coaching experience, technical expertise and safety
record made him the best choice for the position.
Nominations for President's Committee – Igor Belakovskiy:
Pete Morelli was nominated as a replacement to Lynn Osborn on the President's Committee. Pete was unanimously voted in.
Budget Update – Fred Good:
Budget – RBC has paid $24,000 out of $60,000 for the temporary porch repair so far. This exhausts the B&G reserve to date. There is still $2000 to
$3000 bills outstanding. RBC has been presented with a new dock proposal that would cost $16,000; this does not include the porch or the
connection to the porch to the dock. There needs to be a conversation and a plan on how to approach financing this project. RBC can only support
this effort until September, at which point RBC not be financially stable. RBC has a line of credit, which is used to cover short-term bills. There has
not been a final report on whether any of the damages will be covered by insurance.
RBC is still working with the engineers from Bourne Associates to determine options for a long-term fix. Ron Bourne will present different dock
scenarios that will include the current doc configuration and what an upgrade could entail and cost. This will include the permitting and a timeline.
The first phase could start as soon as a couple of months.
Kate Sullivan recommended we look into FEMA small business loans, consultants for permitting and suggested that all committees should bare the
Igor B. said budgeting would be finalized when RBC has a specific plan. Fred Good reminded everyone that there has been no board vote on the
dock yet, currently we are just maintaining what we have and that decisions will have to be made and acted on in the future. The current fix is
expected to last through the winter. The permanent solution will be expensive. If it is determined that it will be more than $100,000 RBC will have to
find a new method to finance the project. RBC is cautiously optimistic that insurance will cover some of the damage, but that is still to be determined.
Other than the porch and dock issues, RBC finances are on budget.
Mike Farry suggested that if cuts are made that all committees be included. Kate Sullivan stated that the B&G budget has taken the brunt burden so
far for an unexpected event. Mike Farry said the board would look into this.
Sarah White brought up the possibility of doing a donation drive. Evan Bailey reminded the board and attendees that that all fundraising options are
being considered but there many different variables that will need to be addressed for a thoughtful and professional plan.
Facilities Committee (enclosing outside boats) – Dick Garver, Cindy Larson, Kate Sullivan:
Dick presented an introduction behind the formation of the Facilities Committee to look into enclosing the outside boats based on membership
interest. Cindy Larson proposed two different scenarios based on topographical surveys and existing information. Consideration was given to
different impacts on the community, DCR concerns and functionality while meeting RBC's long-term goals. The facilities committee would like to start
meeting with different resource groups (e.g., community and political) to get feedback.
The two proposed enclosure solutions consisted of: enclosing what we have straight-off each side of the boathouse with a fence; or the second
proposal which would entail two structures, offset at an angles that points at the existing docs and allows for more openness for the community to
see the river. Cindy advised that there are multiple variables and considerations from engine storage, oars, number of boats and impact on the
parkland. Kate suggested the group develop more detailed plans and start communication with local officials.
Mike Farry reminded the board and the attendees that there are multiple constraints including: political, engineering, aesthetic, financial, and there
needs to be a directive to expand beyond our existing constraints. RBC will need a specific vision before asking members for additional resources.
Igor B. said RBC should not be afraid of finding out the final cost of the project and would need to know the specifics to look for outside
financing.Igor B. noticed that other clubs are expanding, especially with their sculling programs and RBC has not.
Joel Skaliotis asked that all equipment be considered in the decision.He wanted to know if the presented proposal was just for singles or included
both Brookline H.S. and Simmons College. He asserted that it was important to know what would make the membership happy and how the schools
could help make this successful. Cindy, Kate and Dick envisioned multi-use and the ability to grow. Joel is open to feedback and working with RBC.
Long Term Planning – Igor Lasic:
Igor Lasic presented a PowerPoint presentation on long-term planning to address facility upgrades, programs, coaches endowment, development
funds and a club manager. Committees and chairs have been identified that will include the following interest areas: Community Relations,
Development, Facilities, Fundraising, and Communications. A six-year preliminary time-line was presented that included: fundraising, dock and porch
repairs, long-term facilities plan, coach endowment.
Igor B. thought it might be good to start fundraising on a smaller project to start the process and show that we can successfully raise money and
implement a plan to completion. Amelia Booth was concerned about too many fundraising efforts and Sarah White and Mary O'Neil spoke to a
"community of giving." Mary stressed that it's important to not dilute the mission of RBC's fundraising goals with small requests that could be covered
in RBC's normal operating budget.Amelia stressed that RBC be aware of RBC's demographic and to keep realistic expectations. Kate said the
board the membership is energized over the dock and porch situation and a project like selling bricks with member's names could be a fundraising
opportunity. Mike reminded everyone, based on his experience, that RBC needs a plan that includes a reasoned, articulated strategy, with
designated amounts over a specific time period and targeted donation base.
Igor Lasic touched upon the proposed charters of each team for the Development Committee. This includes resurrecting the newsletter, managing
operations for growth, and staying competitive. The first phase is to define the goals to build the charters and to start fundraising for a permanent
coach. Lisa Kunze stressed the need for a database of existing and former members and what skills members have that could help the club.
B&G Budgeting – Mary O'Neill:
Mary wanted clarification on how the porches and docks would affect the current B&G budget.
Igor B. explained the three concepts: No change to the current situation and which will require extensive maintenance and re-risk of winter damage;
the same setup but with a separate float for the ramps which would put less strain on the docks; and a third with a separate pylon system where the
docks would not be attached to the boathouse.
The docks and porch are a large unexpected event, yet there were existing projects that RBC needs to consider, such as the wall in the team room.
The wall is still an issue, although not a crisis at the moment, and needs to be addressed before it becomes one. Mary suggested that the rigger
area could be bettered managed with proper shelving.
Mary also requested guidance on how to approach smaller projects. There was an issue of whether or not to purchase new showerheads. The board
stated that expenditures of less then 10% of the budget do not require a board vote.
Igor B. reminded everyone what is an operational vs. improvement expense. Other committees should not use resources from the B&G budget.
People should not start projects without consulting the committee heads. Igor B. strongly encouraged a building assessment to look at the wall.
Kate Sullivan inquired about boat buying plans. Mike assured Kate that final decisions have not been made and won't be finalized until there has
been an assessment of the current situation.
Paige Divoll asked if she could address the oars abandoned in the attic. The board agreed that with another email she could sell or reprocess what
Committee Representation – Igor Belakovskiy:
The board agreed that committees should have vice chairs and have representation at all future board meetings. At least one member of the
committee should report on the current status of their committee and communicate back to their members what was discussed at the meetings.
Committee chairs can suggest their successors but not determine their replacement.
Board Meeting Times – Igor Belakovskiy:
Board Meetings will be changed to 7:30.